Saturday, May 30, 2015

Eyes of the Beholder

 More Steampunk!
Another mannequin/paper mache' dress form--I've actually decided it would be fun to work in a series.  You can check out #1 in my dress form series here.

Number Two (drum roll, please)...
 
 Inspired by this month's theme at Sandee & Amelie's Steampunk Challenge: "Eyes Tested"\

and the back...
 I gave the paper mache' a leather-like effect by crumpling packing paper, inking with distress ink and then mod-podging it to the dress form.

The gold emboss swirls were added by stamping on tissue paper that had been inked with distress stain, carefully cut out and then applied with glossy mod-podge.

The eyes are dolls eyes.  I drilled into the form and then sanded to create a hole wide enough to fit & recess them a bit and then glued them in place.
Brass colored brads were added for a more metallic effect.

The base was made from a wooden candlestick, distress ink and mod-podged tissue. 
I then secured a skewer and some soft wire to the hole in the candlestick with plaster of paris.

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! This is amazing, Tabitha!

    A brilliant interpretation of our challenge theme and I don't know which side of your dress doll I love more...(but tend a bit towards the back as I find the wire inserted into the rivet holes just genious!).
    The dolls eyes look so stunning and I love the "elegant" colour scheme you have used!

    Thank you so much for sharing your fab piece of steampunk art with us at SASP!
    Hugs,
    Claudia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowzers! This dress form revamp is stunning and the wire from the rivets is my favorite part! The eyes are the perfect fit for our theme this month. Lovely creation and so original! Genius use of the tissue paper and mod podge. Awesome sauce! Thanks for joining us at SanDee&Amelie's Steampunk Challenge! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are cool! Creative spin on the eyes tested theme, definitely out of the box! Love the gold swirls, wires and rivets. Thanks so much for joining us at SASPC!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. It really makes my day!

Sorry about the word verification--my blog was hijacked not too long ago, so now I have to take robo-cautions.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...