Monday, October 18, 2010

Pumpkin Placemat for Beginning Sewers

Look what I found in my Halloween storage box...

I completely forgot that I had Addie make pumpkin placemats last year. 

 They're a great starter, sew-on-the-lines,  project for a beginning sewer. The edges are cut AFTER sewing, so the seams look perfectly positioned, as if an expert sewed them.  Depending on the age and sewing ability of the child, the mats can be hand sewn or done on a machine.  Fusing and cutting can be done my an adult or the child, too.  Have fun!

For each placemat you'll need:
  • 15" x 12" pieces of orange and yellow felt
  • Scrap black felt
  • Air-erase fabric marker
  • Double-sided fusible web or fabric glue
  • Iron
  • Scissors
  • Pinking scissors
  • Orange thread
  • Needle or sewing machine
  1. Stack yellow and orange rectangles on top of each other.
  2. Draw pumpkin shapes with an air-erase fabric marker or  fabric chalk.
  3. Have your child sew right on the lines with a machine or by hand.
  4. Cut about 1/4" from the sewn lines around the pumpkin with pinking sheers (straight would work too).
  5. If using fusible web,with a pressing cloth to avoid scorching the felt, fuse one side of double-sided fusible web to black felt. 
  6. Cut out pumpkin eyes, mouths, noses and other embellishments.
 
  1. Fuse or glue face shapes to orange front to create a pumpkin.
  2. Be sure to sign and date your wonderful creation!

P.S.  I made the not-nearly-as-cool spider web placemat by painting on a Dollar Store black bamboo mat to go under...
My FINALLY finished chalkboard pumpkin!  Yeah, me!


2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. It really makes my day!

Sorry about the word verification--my blog was hijacked not too long ago, so now I have to take robo-cautions.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...