Friday, October 15, 2010

Plum Butter (and some side haunting)

I just got through munching on some leftover, heated cornbread spread with yummy plum butter.

At Picnic you can add a Breast Cancer Awareness frame to your pics for free

I probably should've taken a picture before I ate the muffin, but I was too busy eating to think about it.

This is the first year we made Plum Butter.  It will not be the last! 

It takes some patience, because the fruit mixture needs to be stirred for quite a while to prevent scorching, but it is so worth it.  Plum butter is pure plum essence with a touch of sweetness.  The original recipe from Mary Jane's Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook includes 2 Tbl. chinese five-spice powder, but we wanted a pure plum taste so we left that out.

Mary Jane's Plum Butter
Yield: approx. ten 8oz. jars

16 cups italian plums (prunes)
2 cups water
3 cups sugar
2 T. fresh lemon juice

1. Wash, halve, and pit the plums. Do not peel.
2. Combine the plums, water and sugar in a stockpot.  Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 min. until plums are soft.
3. Puree plums with a blender, food processor, or immersion blender.  Add lemon juice and then cook on low for about 2 hours, stirring frequently (especially towards end of cooking time) or until it reaches butter consistency.  To test, spoon a little bit of the plum mixture onto a chilled plate.  If NO rim of liquid forms around the edge, you've got butter.
4.  Remove from heat and can in 1/2 pint jars.  Process for 10 minutes when canning.

Now for some side haunting~ can't go a whole day with out a little Halloween!

Vinyl cut from Cricut (Actually I use Contact brand shelf paper...MUCH cheaper & works just as well)

Hung a skeleton from the top of my pretty little birdhouse.  He's got some friends in their from previous hangings to keep him company.

And I glittered some leaves so that someday I can actually finish my chalkboard pumpkin.



I'm linking this recipe to...

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, I've never had plum butter but I'm sure I'd love it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. It really makes my day!

Sorry about the word verification--my blog was hijacked not too long ago, so now I have to take robo-cautions.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...