Monday, November 29, 2010

Caffeine and Gingerbread Snowflakes

Breakfast this morning...
Homemade gingerbread cookies.  Perfect for a snowy morning!

When we were in Leavenworth last week the gingerbread shop we usually get a few skinny dippers from (un-iced gingies) was closed.  What to do?  What to do?

I told Kaely we could make some of our own when we got home.  Kaely:  "No we won't.  We never do anything."
Calling a teenager's bluff is always fun!  I even let her roll the dough.

I got to cut out the snowflakes!

Belle was the official taste-tester and has now forsaken Milk Bones in favor of gingies.

If you're in the mood for some good, old-fashioned, super molassesy, ginger packed gingerbread cookies there's only one recipe book to look in...

The recipes I found online only had 1/2 c. of molasses!  Fortunately, Betty knows that gingerbread men are MOSTLY molasses.

I grew up eating black-strap molasses, but I think people aren't as used to the taste anymore, so that's why the new recipes are so dull.

If you check out the recipe (just click on it and it'll get bigger) it's almost good for you!  I used butter instead of shortening, but there's only half a cup and I did add the suggested 1 c. extra flour for boys.  The sugar content is high, but it's molasses and that has lots of iron and keeps you regular.  That's what Rosie (my grandmother) always said and she was usually right, so now it's fact!

Enjoy!

I'm linking this recipe to:
;



2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Gingerbread & coffee! I drink so much coffee my son once said that when cut I bleed French Roast! I have to have some now. I have an old Betty Crocker Cookbook like that. The recipes in them are the bomb! Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... homemade gingerbread cookies :)

    I'd love for you to link this up to What's Cooking Wednesday!

    http://notsohomemade.blogspot.com/2010/12/tex-mex-lasagna-whats-cooking-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. It really makes my day!

Sorry about the word verification--my blog was hijacked not too long ago, so now I have to take robo-cautions.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...