Monday, June 30, 2014

Steampunk Dreamcatcher

Another Eleventh Hour Challenge Entry 
for
June Challenge: Shades of Grey, Blue and Rust

I started out with a wooden embroidery hoop: Spray painted black, touched up with dark pewter acrylic by Martha Stewart.  The blue porcelain effect is made with a layer of Tim Holtz Picket Fence Crackle Medium.  Once dry I colored it with Adirondack Alcohol ink in Stream, then I embossed it with clear embossing powder.

I think the middle, 3-sectioned circle is from a lamp shade, but I'm not positive.  It was in my stash.
The gears started out an insane bright plastic red.  I spray painted them black and then gave them a metallic look by adding metallic paint, metallic rub or embossing with metallic embossing powder.

To make rust I started out with a layer of Tim Holtz Rock Candy Crackle Medium.  Once dry, using a hard paint brush I stippled over it with a mix of orange and burnt umber paint. Then I set my heat gun to it and fried it until the mixture began to darken, peel and crackle.  Rust!
I cut the feathers out on my Silhouette.
To make them metallic I followed the same procedure as for the gears.

Dream Punk it is!

Added 7/5/2014
Yay!  Thank you!

6 comments:

  1. Dream punk? Love your play on words, and this is awesome! Can only imagine the dreams it catches

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely dreamcatcher for a steampunk Indian chief and it looks like it's working effectively. True steampunk colors and upcycling - LOVE it.

    Thank you for participating in Sandee & Amelie's Steampunk Challenge.
    Hugs Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome!!!! What a brilliant and unique idea and I love how it is carried out! Thanks for that fab last minute entry to our SASPC June challenge! This is sooo cool and beautiful!

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a brilliant idea for a Steampunk piece, love it.
    Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just came across this..it is awesome !! may i ask what you used for the small circles by the gears????

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just came across this..it is awesome !! may i ask what you used for the small circles by the gears????

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. It really makes my day!

Sorry about the word verification--my blog was hijacked not too long ago, so now I have to take robo-cautions.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...