By request, no birthday cake for Kaely's Bday...sticky bun breakfast, Thai dinner and frozen yogurt is a good substitute, though!
I felt she needed a cake of some sort, so I turned this...
Felt Birthday Cake Present Box
Shhhh....don't let her know about the Zappos gift certificate inside.
(Like I'm going to try and choose a pair of shoes for my 17yr old on my own!)
To make your own little birthday box you'll need:
- Paper mache' box
- Glue that doesn't dry too quickly
- Disappearing ink marker
- Ribbon & other trimmings to frost your cake
1. Trace the lid & bottom of the box (they will be slightly different sizes) with a disappearing marker onto your felt & cut.
2. For the sides of the box lid and bottom cut rectangles of felt, adding 1" onto the width
- diameter box top x the width of the box top side + 1"
- diameter of the box bottom x width of box bottom + 1"
Cut felt pieces
3. With disappearing ink pen draw a line on the bottom side felt 1" down from the edge . With scissors, cut notches in felt down to that line.
5. Attach matching felt piece with the 1" notched edge overhanging the bottom of the box.
6. Add some glue to bottom underneath the notches and press notches down.
8. Repeat steps 3-7 for the lid.
9. Glue ribbon, lace. or other trim to bottom and top edges to cover the felt seams.
10. Add felt rosettes, beads & other trim to embellish the pretty little cake box.